You may have heard that Epsom Salt is a great, safe, effective and economical garden amendment for use on your flowering plants. But what is Epsom Salt and why is it so popular among rose gardeners?
The main ingredient in Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate which is an important soil additive for healthy plant life. It allows plants to take in nutrients like phosphorus and nitrogen and enhances the capability of the soil. It assists in the creation of chlorophyll which is used by the plant to convert sunlight into food.
Benefits of Using Epsom Salt on Roses
The benefits of Epsom Salt on plants are many including that it’s organic, it’s gentle on plants and it’s cheap!
Here are some specific ways it helps with plants:
- Improves flower blooming.
- It enhances a plant’s green color.
- It helps plants grow bushier.
- Greatly improves a plant’s ability to produce fruit and flowers.
- Assists in seed germination and gives a stronger start to seedlings.
- It’s safe, and there is little danger of problems from overuse.
- It doesn’t build up in the soil and it won't have buildup that will clog the root cells of your plants. In fact, Epsom salt can be used for potted plants that have developed a salt accumulation.
The Versatility of Uses
Another big advantage of Epsom Salt is its versatility in the way it can be used. You can sprinkle Epsom Salt over a large garden area, you can use it to circle around plants or you can add a solution of Epsom Salt to a garden sprayer.
Here are some specifics.